Committee of Experts
The tasks for the assessment and accreditation that the agency has to use have to be carried out by a committee of experts who has been designated by the director depending on areas of knowledge or specialties or according to the most suitable criteria. As an effort to get a greater transparency and independence in these processes of assessment and accreditation, these experts are expected to be engineers preferably external to Canarian Universities and to the public administration of the region.
Apart from these organizations of representation, a commission has also been created for the assignation of pay supplements and for the elaboration of a proposal of protocol of assessment required for hiring new teaching staff by the public universities of the Canaries. It is formed by the general director of universities and research, the director of the agency, two members of the governing bodies appointed by the regional ministry for the education, culture and sports, a vice-chancellor of each of the universities of the Canaries and a joint representation of trade unions present in the meetings of teaching staff and researchers of Canarian universities and the scientific committee.
The objectives of the governing bodies are the planning and programming of the main lines of actuation of the agency as well as the supervision of the activities carried out. The main aims are to approve:
- The Annual plans of actuation of the agency and a report of the activities of the previous year.
- The execution of the budget.
- Protocols of assessment and accreditation of the agency.
- Agreements of collaboration.
- The execution of the functions attributed by law or decree of regulation of the agency.
The governing bodies of the ACECAU are formed by:
- The regional minister for the education, culture and sports.
- The general director of universities and research. Vice president.
- The vice chancellors of Canarian public universities.
- The presidents of social councils of Canarian public universities.
- The presidents of committees of teaching and research staff of Canarian universities.
- Two members appointed by the regional ministry of education, culture and sports among very famous people in the field of university education.
- The director of the agency who is able to express opinion but who cannot vote.
The director of the ACECAU is nominated by the government after the proposal of the regional ministry for the education, culture and sports after having taken into account the opinion of the governing bodies, among prestigious teachers in the field of teaching and research who have more than fifteen years in the profession.
The functions of the director are:
- To represent the agency
- To promote and to manage the execution of annual plans of actuation directed to the effective development of the functions that correspond to the agency.
- To inform the governing bodies about the execution of annual plans of actions, and to put into consideration the report and the documents related to the actions carried out.
- To make and to prepare the documents about the economic and budgetary aspect of the agency according to the budget allocation.
- Other functions corresponding to the agency which are not attributed to any of its organizations.